Thursday, January 16, 2014

New couch phase one...


When I moved from my old house to my new house I did not take a lot of furniture with me. Instead, I've been picking up pieces here and there.  Mostly second hand finds aside from a few new things like the lamps in my living room and now this new sofa.  I have been searching for a long time (as Jana can attest to) for a new sofa that was within my budget yet fit my style.  As you already might know, anything that has a mid-century modern styling (new or old) can be pricy.  Enter IKEA, known for it's streamlined, budget friendly furniture.  Somewhere in cyber space I found this couch from IKEA that a few people have 'hacked' to make it look even more like a mid-century modern piece. 
This Karlstad sofa hack from My So-Called Handmade Life is my inspiration for my sofa.
I already ordered the custom, tapered legs from Uncle Bob's workshop (in Early American stain) and they should arrive in mid-February.  Next up with be attempting some faux tufted buttons for the back cushions.  But first I need IKEA to get the Karlstad pillow cover back in stock so I can use the fabric to cover the buttons. 


Hopefully this all goes to plan and I will have a semi-custom mid-century piece at a fraction of the cost of any of the ones that I have been drooling over online.

In the meantime, I think it looks great as is!
Ps. IKEA online shopping tip: IKEA will ship anywhere in Canada or the US (the closest one is about eight hours from me), but the shipping can be pricy.  I think the standard truck delivery rate for my area was 129$.  It's definitely worth the wait to order a few things at once so you can save on shipping.  I also ordered a makeup vanity that I will blog about later.
xo,

melissa

1 comment:

jana said...

Yay! FINALLY a new couch! It's going to be so awesome once you 'hack' it! So you! Congrats lady!!

xo Jana